2nd Edition (Revised)
By James O. Wear, Ph.D., PCA, CCE,
CHSP and David A. Simmons,
Why hire a consultant to develop your Hospital Safety Program? You can develop your own Hospital Safety Program, Policy, and Procedures with the aid of the Hospital Safety Manual. The Hospital Safety Manual addresses ways to meet safety standards.
This Hospital Safety Manual contains over 300 pages of information, policy statements, guides, and procedures. Several policy statements can be used for your policy statement with the addition of your hospital name.
Among the topics of interest to Safety Engineers, Safety Coordinators, Hospital Engineers, Personnel Directors, and Risk Managers are:
* Industrial Hygiene - hospitals are having to provide greater protection for employees and patients from asbestos, chemicals, and environmental conditions.
* Hazard Communication - hospitals should be prepared for this important topic from OSHA and various state right-to-know laws. The material on the topic will help you meet these regulations.
* Hazardous Waste - hospitals now may be classified as small quantity generators and come under EPA regulations as well as a JCAHO standard. Some hazardous wastes are not defined as hazardous waste under these regulations and you should know what they are.
* Disaster Preparation - A section dealing with what is required by JCAHO and NFPA-99. Each plan is different so a checklist is provided to assure that you consider everything as you develop a plan.
* Risk Management - special emphasis is placed on risk management as it applies to medical equipment and its safe use. The policy and procedures for equipment can be used in other areas with slight modification.
* Special Topics - Asbestos, Anesthetic Waste Gas, Ethylene Oxide, Antineoplastic Drugs, AlDS, and Back injuries are hospital safety areas that are given special emphasis.
All the standard safety topics such as job safety analysis, hazard recognition, electrical safety, fire protection and education are covered in depth.
The Hospital Safety Manual with over 300 pages of practical, usable information is priced at only U.S.$90 including shipping and handling which is less than the price of two hours of a consultant's time. Add U.S.$35 for airmail overseas orders.